July 31, 2014.
1. Live and let live.
2. Be generous and giving. He says if you withdraw into yourself, you can become egocentric. And also, quote, "stagnant water becomes putrid."
3. Proceed calmly. He talked about a novel where a character says that as a kid, he was like a rushing river full of rocks. But as an old man he's like a slow-moving pool of water. The Pope thinks we should be like the pool.
4. Have a healthy sense of leisure. Focus on simple things like enjoying art and playing with children. (Perhaps His Holiness should have chosen his words a bit more carefully on that last one.)
5. Make Sunday a holiday. He says Sunday is for families, so workers should have the day off. Also, it's one of the Ten Commandments.
6. Create dignified work for young people. Without opportunities, they get into trouble.
7. Respect nature.
8. Don't be negative.
9. Don't try to convert people. He says it's fine to inspire people by example, but you have to respect their beliefs. If you're talking to someone to persuade them, there's no real communication going on.
10. Work for peace.