Wings in the Park: A Celebration of Butterflies, Bees, and Blossoms
The amazing Pollinator Parade kicks off the day as pollinator enthusiasts of all ages come dressed as their favorite pollinator, parading through the park to the Snetsinger Butterfly Garden. Entering the wonder of the butterfly garden, visitors can participate in:
- Our habitat exploration game, “The Great Scavenger Hunt”
- Get a picture taken as a colorful critter in the popular “Shutterbug Booth”
- Examine observation bee hives
- Explore the “Monarch Maze” obstacle course
- Learn about monarch tagging and migration
- Compare a diet with and without pollinators
- Visit our “Native Bee Hotel”
- Decorate delicious caterpillar cookies
- Learn about the butterfly life-cycle
- Meet and talk with Dr. “Butterfly Bob” Snetsinger
Throughout the event, Master Gardeners will offer “Habitat Chats” in the SBG’s six Demonstration Gardens, where people can gain insight into the world of pollinators. Attendees will also learn first-hand how to incorporate pollinator-friendly plants and gardening techniques in their home gardens and become an official Master Gardener certified Pennsylvania Pollinator Friendly Garden.
Joining the Master Gardeners with special exhibits and projects will be Penn State’s Shavers Creek Environmental Center, the Center for Pollinator Research, and the Frost Entomological Museum as well as the Pennsylvania Native Plant Society, Centre County Beekeepers Association, Discovery Space Children’s Museum of Central PA, State College Bird Club and Clearwater Conservancy.
For more information go to http://www.snetsingerbutterflygarden.org/wings.html